Sunday, May 27, 2012

Come home. I will leave the light on for you.

Memorial Day 2012

It’s been better than two years now.  Actually two years and three days.

In those 733 days, I have been able to look into your eyes only 31.  For some dads, I suppose, that would be luxury.  For this Dad’s eyes, too few.  Yet, my heart is thankful that I still can do that…and that we text and talk.  Memories you have given me and mom during the 4% of life we have shared face to face in the past 24 months include:

Travel to graduation at Parris Island 2010
The brown recluse surprise surgery trip 2010 while at the school house.
Your most incredible surprise visit to DFW, Thanksgiving 2010.
Christmas in San Antonio 2010
New Years in San Antonio 2011
Your recent home visit April 2012 on the front end of this new venture.

But I am thankful.  You have brought other Marines into our lives.  Our home is filled with USMC awards, plaques, accomplishments, flags, hats, etc. etc.  No less than three USMC flags are displayed at any time.  I have been back to MEPS in the last month, and relived your experience, with a neighbor and his Mom.  Feelings haven’t changed since the last time I stood for the swearing in Ceremony and said good-bye’s.  Of course, he headed to San Diego… his loss… ha!

And your adventure continues. 
Another 300 (perfect score) on your Combat Fitness Test this past week.
Another near perfect score on your most recent Physical Fitness Test the week before that. Expert Pistol. Expert Rifle. Range Coach. A new MCMAP belt, and a cutting score that rocks.

We, your family, your loved ones, salute you Sara.

We commend you for your willingness to sacrifice months and years of your life… and if this is to be the future you choose for yourself… your sacrifice of a lifetime in service to us… doing your part in the puzzle of liberty and justice for all. 

In spite of the adventure, I suppose what touches me the most about you, is your sacrifice of time with family, as your 2 sisters and hubbies, your brother and your mother and I (not to mention your friends and extended family) stand on the sidelines and watch.  It’s hard to imagine that holidays without you will become the norm in the years ahead, as we both know you will be called on to serve during those days.

Both of us will make do, won’t we.  You will be tough as nails and I will attempt to be.  However, the next time you come home, promise me I will get a batch of home-made oatmeal raisin cookies made for me by you.  I will be waiting for them.

Fight for right and freedom. Keep our honor clean. Stand tall. Be uncompromising.
Remember most of all --- who you are...whose you are...and your heritage!

I am here for you, Dad
Job 28:28 (remember this)









No comments:

Post a Comment