Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Post One at Three Months In


"WHAT??? Did someone say SARA?  Where? .... Where is she?"  "Buddy.... get OFF the couch!!!"

"Awwww!....Well, I'll just wait here at my Post One and guard my AC vent!!!"
Heidi and Cody said "Wait... did someone say Sara... ?  Really?"
Heidi... wipe that cheesy smile off your face!!
Well, these first three months of the first post have been kind of different I know.   A lot has happened since that June 29 day.  I am sure that you enjoyed the weekends during the wait for your visa and perhaps the daily trips to the Pentagon and the Embassies in DC... probably the Starbucks trips most... right?  But you made it to your first post on this 36 month gig.

Seems to me to be a solitary kind of assignment.  At least that is what I get from the DOS FSO's on sight.  They have been known to blog that 12 months there could possibly do one of four things to the individual:
  1. Turn you into a chunk (eating too much)
  2. Turn you into a hunk (spending all your free time in the gym)
  3. Turn you into a drunk (partying all the time with the same people you work with)
  4. Put you in a funk (spending all time alone, reading, writing or on the computer studying online).
So it seems balance is the key.  Moderation and balance, right?

Congrats on testing out on your GREEN Belt with MCMAP.  I know it was tough when it was your turn to be the dummy.  I hated that you were in such pain.

I sent off a box of Arthromend and Immuforte (with some other goodies) today.  It was fun to send you a little care package.

Sara I am glad you are safe during these days of unrest.  Goodness, what a crazy world we live in.  I bet you and the others there (colleagues) would be happy to go to any Embassy and let people know that the diplomatic missions are NOT to be toyed with.  People have a right to their opinions, but when destruction and death result, action seems to be the only understandable response.  Apologies and gestures fall pitifully short.

So, I get weekendly updates from our neighbor across the street.  He tells me everything he has learned and is doing, the gear he is using, the details behind all the equipment, weaponry, procedures, etc.  I am amazed at his ability to retain information that he is so interested in.  I told him I thought he would be a good teacher.  He has changed significantly since he left here on May 8 as you may imagine.  I think the change has been more dramatic since he began SOI.  He will be finishing that up in the next couple of weeks and then it's off to who knows where.  We pray for his safety too.

Comrades pushing through SOI in the mountains of California.  I get updates each weekend.  Not very pretty training... digging in... and all related ... nasty tough job.  PFC Sams is RFI with his gear.
Find your strength in the Word of God.  Take care of my Bible please.  God will speak to you if you listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment